The Blessed Sacrament Congregation and St Francis’ Church Heritage Centre preserves archival records and artefacts relating to the history of St Francis’ Church and the activities of the Australian Province of the Blessed Sacrament Congregation.


The Heritage Centre is a modern archive facility located at 326 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne (within the monastery building adjoining St Francis’ Church).



Over 200 metres of records are held in the Heritage Centre collection.


Important groups of records in the collection include the minutes of province chapters; minutes of provincial council and community leaders’ meetings; administrative, personnel and financial correspondence files; photographs, postcards, holy cards and slides; audio-visual records; architectural drawings; publications and religious ephemera; house and personal diaries; private collections of individual priests and brothers; ecclesiastical artefacts; sacred vestments; liturgical plate; and a rare collection of antique religious books.


The Heritage Centre is the central repository for all records of permanent historical value relating to religious houses or communities, devotional organisations and churches, novitiates, seminaries and other facilities or bodies associated with the Blessed Sacrament Congregation in Australia. Early records relating to missionary foundations established by the Australian province in Sri Lanka (1956) and India (1964) are also held in the collection.


Scope of the Collection

The major focus of the Heritage Centre collection is to document the administration of the Blessed Sacrament Congregation in Australia and the history of St Francis’ Church from the time of the Congregation’s arrival in 1929.


Although the collection includes significant records dated before 1929, most of the pre-1929 records relating to St Francis’ Church are held by the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne at the Melbourne Diocesan Historical Commission (MDHC).


Please note that records of baptisms and marriages at St Francis’ Church prior to 1929 are not held in the Heritage Centre collection. These records are held by the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne at St Patrick’s Cathedral, East Melbourne. For further information concerning access to these records, see the Family History Research guide on this website.



The Heritage Centre is a private archive, open by appointment. Access to records is subject to prior assessment by the Provincial Archivist. Enquiries from members of the public are initially answered by the Provincial Archivist. Direct or personal access to specific records may be granted to researchers in appropriate circumstances.



Enquirers should state the nature and purpose of their enquiry and provide full contact details including name, organisation (if applicable), postal address and any preferred email or telephone contact numbers.


Please direct Heritage Centre enquiries to:


Damien Cash

Provincial Archivist

St Francis’ Church

326 Lonsdale Street




Tel. +61 3 9631 5017

Fax  +61 3 9663 2817